We are continuting a great program at Bowie this year called the Leader In Me. We will introduce a new Habit each month for our students to focus on. We believe that we can develop leaders if we can instill good habits when students are young.
7 Habits for Happy Kids include:
August/September- Be Proactive-You're In charge!
- I am a responsible person
- I take initiative
- I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods.
- I do not blame others for my wrong actions.\
- I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
October-Begin with the end in Mind-Have a Plan!
- I plan ahead and set goals
- I do things that have meaning and make a difference.
- I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school's mission and vision.
- I look for ways to be a good citizen.
November-Put First Things First-Work first, then play!
- I spend my time pm things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do.
- I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow a plan
- I am disciplined and organized.
December-Think Win-Win-Everyone Can Win!
- I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want.
- I make deposits in others' Emotional Bank Accounts.
- When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives.
January-Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood-Listen before you talk!
- I listen to other people's ideas and feelings.
- I try to see things from their viewpoints.
- I listen to others without interrupting.
- I am confident in voicing my ideas.
- I look people in the eyes when talking.
February-Synergize-Together is Better!
- I value other people's strengths and learn from them.
- I get along well with others, even people who are different than me.
- I work well in groups.
- I seek out other people's ideas to solve problems becaue I know that by teaming with others we can create better solutions than anyone o us can alone
- I am humble.
March-Sharpen the Saw-Balance Feels Best!
- I take care of my body by eating right, exercising and getting sleep.
- I spend time with family and friends.
- I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school.
- I find meaning ways to help others.
April-Find Your Voice-Discover Your Talents!
- I can find something I am good at and really like doing.
- I am proud but do not boast.
- I use my expertise to help and inspire others.