Corsicana ISD Brings Renowned Computer Coding Program to Corsicana Students
Corsicana ISD is pleased to announce its partnership with Code to the Future, the nation’s leading Computer Science program for schools. Corsicana is one of a few select districts in Texas to adopt this innovative curriculum designed to inspire the next generation of computer programmers.
Code to the Future specializes in coding lessons geared to elementary students and offers an established curriculum, coaches for the classrooms on a rotating basis, and professional development.
District officials selected Carroll Elementary as the Computer Science Immersion School in the district beginning this fall. Students at Carroll will have the opportunity to learn fundamentals of computer coding as part of their daily curriculum. Through this 21st century literacy, students will develop critical thinking, creativity, communication, and collaboration skills.
Collins Intermediate School will have Code to the Future curriculum integrated in Science and Computer classes as well as the library.
Through the partnership with Code to the Future, teachers will be able to engage students through block and text-based coding activities to enhance their education experiences through Computer Science. Students will have another avenue to apply problem solving, team building, and presentation skills as they collaborate and share their thinking process with peers.
CISD Superintendent Dr. Diane Frost said, “Students will have a great opportunity to learn computer science in a fun and engaging way while also developing the skills they need to be successful in our digital future.”
Carroll will continue to offer the same, outstanding instruction in reading, writing, math, science, social studies, music and physical education, all of which are foundational content subjects. Coding will be an exciting, integrated enhancement to the learning already taking place.
If interested, students currently attending a CISD elementary campus, other than Carroll, will be able to transfer to Carroll next year to be a part of this program. There is no cost associated with attendance, and bus transportation will be available for students. Current Carroll students will be a part of the program.
An information session for parents interested in learning more about Carroll Elementary as the Computer Science Immersion campus, starting in the fall, will be Monday, May 14 at 6pm at Carroll Elementary. Students attending other elementary campuses interested in Carroll, will be provided an application for request to transfer as space allows.
Collins Intermediate will host an information session for parents (date/time TBD) to learn more about the integrated approach for 5th and 6th grade students to begin in the fall.
- Code to the Future builds a comprehensive curriculum of Computer Science integrated into existing studies through programming (coding) and game design that is highly engaging and challenging for students.
- All students in kindergarten through 4th grade at Carroll Elementary and 5th and 6th grade students at Collins Intermediate, will have an opportunity to develop computer programming and coding skills as part of their daily curriculum.
- In addition to general brain development and increased ability to focus, the program is specifically focused on developing the four Cs: Critical Thinking, Creativity, Communication, & Collaboration.
- Students will engage in Lego Robotics, Scratch Coding, Minecraft, and more.
- Information sessions for parents and students regarding Computer Science:
Carroll Elementary Immersion Campus (Kinder-4th grade)
Monday, May 14 at 6pm at Carroll - 1101 E 13th Ave
Collins Intermediate Integration Campus (5th-6th grade)
Date and time TBD for Parent Meeting at Collins - 1500 Dobbins Rd