Sam Houston Elementary Announcements
Q & A
Pre-Kinder Programs offered at Corsicana ISD
Q: What Pre-K programs are available at CISD?
A: There are two Pre-kinder programs available at CISD. State supported Pre-K Program at the Early Learning Center at Carroll Elementary and the Dual Language Pre-K Program at Sam Houston Elementary.
Q: What is the Early Learning Center at Carroll Elementary?
The Early Learning Center at Carroll provides a safe learning environment to encourage student growth and development. This full-day program is offered to families who meet eligibility requirements.
Q: What are the eligibility requirements for tuition-free Pre-K?
2021-2022 Eligibility Requirements for FREE Pre-Kindergarten programs at CISD
- The student must be age 4 as of Sept. 1, 2021.
- Be unable to speak and comprehend the English language.
- Be educationally disadvantaged, which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program.
- Be homeless, as defined by 42 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child.
- Be the child of an active-duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority.
- Be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty.
- Be in, or have been in, the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code.
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer (3106.002), firefighter (3106.003), or emergency medical first responder (3106.004
- What is the Dual Language Program for Pre-K?
A: The Dual Language Program at Sam Houston Elementary is an intensive program where students are instructed in both the English and Spanish language. Students must be evaluated/tested to enter into this unique program. For families who do not qualify (see above for qualifications) for the free Pre-K program, this program accepts students on a tuition-basis. The tuition for the full day Dual Language Pre-K is $250 per month.
- What is Head Start?
A: Head Start is a federally funded program that promotes the school readiness of young children from low-income families. Head Start and Early Head Start programs support the mental, social, and emotional development of children from birth to age 5. Head Start partners with CISD at the Early Learning Center at Carroll Elementary.
Q: What is PPCD?
A: Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities, (PPCD), provides special education services for any eligible child with an identified need who is between the ages of 3 and 5.
Q: What days/times is Pre-K open?
A: Both Sam Houston Elementary PreK and Early Learning Center at Carroll follow the CISD calendar. Both programs start at 7:45am and end at 3:15pm.
Q: Will breakfast be provided to all students? Lunch?
A: Yes, all students attending PreK receive a free breakfast in their classroom. Students are also provided a free lunch, typically served in the cafeteria.
Q: Will my child be required to wear special clothing?
A: All PreK students follow the Standardized Dress Code that all CISD schools adhere to. More information can be found online www.cisd.org.
Q: Is there a nurse on campus? Security?
A: A CISD Nurse and Police Officer are located on each campus.
Q: Who leads CISD Pre-K programs?
A: Lisa West is the Director of the Early Childhood Program at Carroll Elementary, Cheryl Murdock is the Principal of Carroll Elementary, and Molly Corrington is the Principal at Sam Houston Elementary.
Q: Can my pre-k students ride a school bus to and from school?
A: No. Parents will need to provide transportation. (Only students who qualify for Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities, or PPCD, qualify to ride the bus.)
Q: Will my child participate in “specials” classes?
A: Your child will get to exercise, sing & use the computers in class during the school day.
In addition to collecting Box Tops, you can sign up to supportSam Houston Elementary with Box Tops for Education:
Enter Bonus Box Tops online:http://www.boxtops4education.com/bonus-box-tops
Coupons for Box Tops products:http://www.boxtops4education.com/coupons
The technology help desk is still available! Updated hours are Monday-Thursday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. You can reach the help desk by calling 903-641-2333 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.