What in the World is a School Counselor?
Most people are not sure about what a school counselor actually does. Let me help. As a school counselor, my responsibilities center on providing services that promote the best welfare of children academically, personally/socially and career-wise. I am not a disciplinarian but a safe resource to help students who may be struggling for various reasons.
A few of the services I provide include:
- Individual and group counseling for on topics such as grief, changing families, anger management, social skills, friendship, etc.
- Classroom guidance focused on character development, academic success, personal/social responsibility and career/college exploration.
- Consultation with parents, teachers and administration about concerns affecting students to promote academic success
- Serving as Section 504 Coordinator to proess referrals for special academic needs for students
- provide information on commuity resources for families
- Anti-Bullying Coordinator
- 4th Grade Leadership Squad Coordinator
- And most importantly - Student Advocate.